Military Law and Court-Martial Defense Attorney in DC

Accomplished Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer
We're Here To Help
When you face a drug charge, you may be confused over what makes it a federal crime and not a state crime. You may also wonder what the classifications of drugs mean and how that can affect the outcome of your case. There are many aspects you should understand when facing such charges so that you can go to court prepared.

Phone: (202) 430-1900

Fax: (202) 430-1900

Office Location: 1101 17th Street NW Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20036

Hours: Monday - Friday | 8am - 5pm

Accused of a white-collar crime?
Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer

Administrative Discharge Boards

Administrative Discharge Boards are the process by which the Army, Navy. Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard separate enlisted service members from the service.  Although less serious than courts-martial, administrative separations carry substantial adverse consequences.  A board can recommend separation from the service and a characterization of the discharge as Honorable, General under Honorable Conditions (General) or Other than Honorable (OTH).  An OTH in particular can cause the loss of benefits and, even more importantly, place a black mark on the service member for years to come.

Fortunately, the “Respondent”, the accused service member, has certain due process rights.  These rights are set forth in the regulations of each military service.  These regulations are:

  • Army  - Enlisted Administrative Separations AR 135-178
  • Navy - NAVMILPERSMAN 1900
  • Air Force - AFI 36-320
  • Marine Corp - Marine Corps Order 1900.16

In terms of procedure, an administrative discharge begins with a letter to the respondent formally notifying him or her of the proposed separation.  If the separation could result in an OTH, the service member has a right to a hearing before a board composed of three officers.  The senior member of the board serves as the President of the Board.  There is no separate judge.  The Respondent is entitled to legal representation by either a military lawyer or a civilian defense counsel.

The presentation of evidence begins with the presentation of evidence by the Recorder, who essentially serves as a prosecutor.  Formal rules of evidence do not apply; however, the evidence must be reliable.  The evidence may be in presented buy documents, witnesses or both.  Once the Recorder has presented the government’s case, the Respondent’s counsel can present evidence, either through documents or witness testimony.  The Respondent may testify if he or she desires.  Once the Respondent has presented his or her evidence, the Board deliberates and determine whether the Respondent engaged in misconduct.  If it is determined that the Respondent engaged in misconduct, the Board must then recommend retention or separation and, if separation, the character of the separation, Honorable, General or OTH.

Following the completion of the Board, the Officer Convening the Board can make its recommendation.  Ultimately, the Personnel Command of the Service will make an ultimate determination as to separation.  Each of these steps provides the service member with another opportunity to argue his or her case.  Failing to respond at any level signals to the service that the service member has simply given up.

Is It Possible to Win at an Administrative Discharge Board?

Absolutely.  We have represented military members, primarily Navy members, in well over 100 boards and achieved positive results in the vast majority of cases.  Success does not always mean a finding of no misconduct or a recommendation of retention, although these outcomes happen.  The most important victory is avoiding an Other than Honorable Discharge.

Don't Wait
We're Here To Help
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
What Our Clients Are Saying
  • Without Dennis' counsel, I do not believe that I or my business would have been able to thrive in today's healthcare industry. His experience and knowledge of the law is truly indispensable. Definitely worth every dollar I paid him!

    - Owen
  • Dennis is a gifted attorney. I had the opportunity to work with him first-hand on a variety of matters. Because of his depth of experience and intellect, Dennis was able to quickly identify issues and work toward a favorable resolution for his clients.
    - Susan C.
  • Dennis is a very experienced and skilled criminal litigation lawyer. Being both active in the International Bar Association (IBA), I have come to know Dennis as a person very much dedicated to his work and his clients, and with a broad up-to-date knowledge of legal matters.
    - Enide P.
  • “Dennis is an exceptional white collar defense attorney with global experience. I would not hesitate to call upon Dennis to advise, counsel, and try the most challenging cases for any client or contact of mine.”
    - M. Wolfe
  • “Dennis is an excellent attorney. I have had the pleasure of working with Dennis on numerous complex civil and criminal matters. Dennis handles cases thoroughly and comprehensively, providing his clients with the best possible representation.”
    - J. Autry
  • “Mr. Boyle represented my in a federal income tax issue that became criminal. He helped me through the process and worked with IRS agents and prosecutors for months to reduce me sentence. In the end, I received a sentence of probation and was able to keep my business and put my life back together. My trust in him was well placed.”
    - Anonymous
  • “On one of the worst days of my life, my business caught on fire, and the fire endangered my house that was next store. As I was trying to help the firemen fight the fire, two people I did not know showed up and told me I had to leave. When I tried to explain to them that I was helping the firemen, I was beaten with a club and tased with a teaser. The two police officers, who had not identified themselves, then arrested me for resisting arrest and assault them. They then took me in handcuffs to the hospital and then to the York County prison where I spent the night before making bail. I hired Dennis Boyle to defend me, and after a jury trial, I was found innocent of all charges. “
    - Anonymous

Sexual Misconduct Processed Before Administrative Discharge Boards

Ordinarily, one would expect sexual misconduct to be referred to a court-martial for trial and punishment.  Sometimes, however, Department of Defense Instruction 1332.14 authorizes the services to address sexual assault and sexual harassment allegation through administrative discharge boards.  This DOD Instruction is reflected in specific regulations for each service.  These regulations are:

  • Army - U.S. Army Regulation 635-200
  • Navy - MILPERSMAN 1810-233
  • Air Force - AFI 36-310

An administrative discharge board gives the government the advantage of relying upon written statements in a proceeding where there are no rules of evidence.  There is no right of confrontation, as there would be in a court-martial, and hearsay evidence is admissible.  A Respondent may be tarnished with an OTH and lose his or her military career, not to mention the stigma of be labeled a sex offender.

For convening authorities, this use of administrative process is compelling, particularly in weak cases that would never result in a court-martial conviction.  The Respondent does have certain rights, however.  The Respondent can call witnesses and present written evidence.  He or she can make a sworn or unsworn statement (or decide to make no statement).  In a case that is bases upon weak or contradictory evidence, a skilled defense counsel can call witness and make arguments to undermine the credibility of the government’s case.  The key to success is aggressive representation.

Why Hire a Civilian Defense Counsel?

First, there are times when it does not make sense to hire a civilian defense counsel.  If the service member does not care about the characterization of his or her discharge and simply wants to get home as soon as possible, there is no reason to retain a civilian defense counsel.  If the misconduct is serious and the evidence overwhelming, there is no reason to retain a civilian defense counsel.

However, there are times when an administrative discharge can be catastrophic.  A senior enlisted member who has invested a substantial portion of his or he life to the military could lose the value of a pension worth hundreds of thousands of dollars if he or she is separated from the service before reaching retirement eligibility.  An OTH could haunt a young soldier, sailor, Marine or airman for the rest of his or her life.  In these cases, retaining a civilian defense counsel skilled in military law.

In most cases, the right military defense counsel has more experience than the young JAG officer who would be assigned to the case.  With that experience comes the knowledge of how to put a persuasive defense together.  A civilian counsel is also outside any military chain of command and consequently has more freedom to take actions an active duty officer could not.  Contact us if you have questions or would like to discuss your options before an administrative discharge board.

Time Is of The Essence

Contact Dennis Boyle, Attorney At Law Today

If you are searching for an experienced criminal defense attorney, Contact Dennis Boyle, Attorney At Law today. We have many years of experience defending clients that have been accused of federal financial crimes. We can help you navigate the complex legal process and provide you with the best defense possible. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation or speak with a member of our legal team.

Practice Areas

White Collar Criminal Defense

Those that find themselves charged with a white collar crime must make sure they have a dedicated defense attorney on their side.
Learn More

Investment Arbitration

These high-pressure cases can may prove especially difficult when dealing with countries known for high levels of corruption.
Learn More

Securities & Investment Crimes

With these white collar crimes you can face years or even decades of prison time, hefty fines and possibly other criminal charges.
Learn More

International Criminal Law

There are many criminal defense attorneys providing legal counsel throughout the Washington, DC area. However, very few of them have the professional experience and legal acumen to handle criminal defense on an international scale.
Learn More

Mail / Wire Fraud

Mail and wire fraud are two of the most frequently prosecuted crimes in the US. Both of these crimes are federal felony offenses.
Learn More

Fraud Cases

Fraud crimes are often prosecuted much more severely and often involve substantial amounts of money due to the violation of trust.
Learn More

Money Laundering

Money Laundering can lead to severe penalties including many years in prison, thousands of dollars in fines and asset seizure.
Learn More

Racketeering and Organized Crime

These offenses relate to interference with interstate commerce by threat or violence, interference with organized labor, money laundering, murder-for-hire and illegal gambling.
Learn MoreOrganized Crime in the BalkansWest African Organized Crime


Mail and wire fraud are two of the most frequently prosecuted crimes in the US. Both of these crimes are federal felony offenses
Learn More

Cyber Crime

Cyber crime is a relatively new and rapidly growing area of law. Too many people, and too many lawyers, think that cyber crimes are just like any other crimes.
Learn More
We Can Help
Contact Dennis Boyle Now
Call now (202) 430-1900
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
© 2021 Dennis Boyle. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy| Disclaimer| Digital Marketing by RizeUp Media