Washington DC Drug Crimes Lawyer
Drug-related charges vary greatly in terms of prosecution and sentencing. In many cases, the prosecution aims to force defendants into treatment as opposed to prison sentences. If the charges detail intent to distribute, penalties may increase significantly. In addition, the type of drug and where it was found has a profound impact on the seriousness of the charges and how the prosecution will move forward.
Drug-related charges can be very complex and require the skills of an experienced drug crimes attorney in Washington DC. If you or a loved one is facing a criminal drug investigation, the dedicated staff of Boyle and Jasari, are here for you. Our drug crime defense lawyers understand the intricacies of illegal substance laws in the District of Columbia.
Why Choose Boyle and Jasari
Attorney Dennis Boyle is an accomplished white-collar and criminal defense attorney. In his vast experience, he has served as a former;
- Navy Judge Advocate
- First Assistant District Attorney
- Special Assistant US Attorney
Attorney Dennis Boyle has also served over a decade as a prosecutor, giving him special insight into his client’s cases.
Having practiced throughout the nation in federal and state courts and international settings, Attorney Dennis Boyle has crafted his expertise in complex civil and federal litigation. He has experienced landmark successes in constitutional law, professional negligence, commercial litigation, and civil procedure.
Since becoming a criminal and white-collar defense lawyer, Attorney Dennis Boyle has defended cases involving accusations of;
- Securities Fraud
- Banking Fraud
- Money Laundering
- Tax Fraud and Evasion
- Health Care Fraud
- Medicare Fraud
- Wire Fraud and Mail Fraud
- Violations of Espionage statutes
- Drug crimes
- Narcotics Distribution
If allegations of drug-related offenses have brought on an investigation, or if you have been charged with a drug crime, you need the knowledgeable defense team of Boyle and Jasari, by your side.
How a Drug Criminal Defense Attorney in Washington DC Can Help
Criminal drug charges can have a profound effect on your life. If found guilty, you could face time in prison, heavy fines, and a felony on your record permanently. Careers, families, and reputations are often ruined in the wake of a drug crime conviction. Convicted felons often experience hardship finding employment and housing. A guilty verdict for illegal substances may follow you for life.
It is important that you know criminal drug charges are seldom simple offenses with clear-cut defenses. An experienced drug crime attorney understands the many nuances involved in each case. The defense team at Boyle and Jasari, can help mitigate the impact of criminal drug charges.
Our Washington DC drug crimes attorneys can;
- Evaluate your case to assess the strengths and weaknesses. Attorney Dennis Boyle is a former prosecutor and brings a unique perspective to his defense team.
- Listen and understand your position while developing the facts of the case
- Interview witnesses and persons related to the matter
- Retain investigators, experts, and other professionals to add to your defense
After a thorough investigation, Attorney Dennis Boyle may be able to persuade the prosecution to drop the charges against you. This is one of the most crucial aspects of having a skilled drug crime attorney advocate on your behalf. If your case must proceed to trial, Attorney Dennis Boyle has extensive experience litigating complex cases, trying over 200 jury trials to verdict in state and federal courts across the nation.
If you or someone you know is the target of an investigation for drug-related offenses, Boyle and Jasari, will use his expertise to safeguard your freedom and reputation.
What Factors or Variables Affect the Severity of Drug Charges?
There is a wide range of drug-related crimes ranging from misdemeanors to felonies. Import factors that affect your case include;
- The type of controlled substance or substances. Illegal drugs are classified by addiction risk and harm, leading to harsher charges for drugs considered more dangerous. If a person has a controlled substance without a legal prescription, they could be charged with a felony regardless of the type or amount.
- The amount of illegal substances found could lead to charges of ‘intent to distribute,’ considered a much greater offense.
- Charges often differ depending on if the person has had prior encounters with law enforcement. First-time drug offenders are sometimes treated more leniently. However, the charges still have serious and life-altering consequences.
- The whereabouts of the person at the time of their arrest is also an important factor. In the District of Columbia, there are drug-free zones that can carry twice the penalties. Drug-free zones are areas commonly linked to children, specifically within 1,000 feet of;
- Daycare centers
- Schools, including elementary, vocational, secondary, colleges, and universities
- Public swimming pools
- Video arcades
- Youth centers
- Public libraries
- Public housing
How Drug Charges Are Defined in Washington DC
Possession of a controlled substance:
Barring other factors, a simple possession charge is considered a misdemeanor. Possession of an illegal drug or controlled substance must be in a small enough amount to warrant personal use only.
Distribution of a controlled substance:
Selling illegal drugs or controlled substances have much harsher penalties, especially if the offender sells or gives drugs to a minor. The penalties increase if the offender provides the illegal substances to a person under the age of 17 with intent to sell or deliver.
Trafficking illegal drugs:
Trafficking illegal drugs or controlled substances across a border is considered a federal crime. The Office of National Drug Control Policy oversees collaborative Federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement and public health efforts to disrupt drug trafficking and production, leading to severe penalties.
Manufacturing illegal drugs:
Creating illegal drugs or using ingredients to produce or manipulate a controlled substance can lead to penalties that surpass distribution in terms of harshness.
If you or someone you know has been charged with a misdemeanor, felony, or multiple charges, it is crucial you speak with a knowledgeable drug crime attorney immediately. Often, law enforcement officials use a combination of surveillance, wiretaps, and other methods to investigate Washington DC drug crimes. Sometimes the information gathered could be subject to constitutional issues.
Attorney Dennis Boyle has extensive experience litigating matters of constitutional law as well as other criminal defense matters. Contact the office of Boyle and Jasari, and speak with one of our highly sought drug crime lawyers today.
Protect Your Rights and Call Boyle and Jasari
Criminal drug charges can lead to years in prison, hefty fines, a felony record, and the loss of your reputation, career, and future opportunities. The Washington DC drug crime attorneys at Boyle and Jasari bring their skills, expertise, and experience to your defense and advocate for your rights. Contact our offices for an evaluation of your case today by clicking here or calling (202) 860-3007.